I try to live in a state of awe and wonder. That is my main spiritual tenet. I find that lets me approach the world with an open heart. This is not always easy to do but it enables me and demands I notice the mockingbird singing it’s heart out at 5am on a season that is not usually conducive to mating. He’s a little late but still he’s out there singing.
It enables me to notice on my walk to the bus the bending, swishing heads on the ornamental grasses on the way to the bus. It enables me to forget that if I’m not standing or walking my back doesn’t hurt as much. It enables me to forget that most days I seem to have a sign on me while riding on the bus that says, “Sit next to her and fart.” (especially if it’s going to be silent but deadly).
It lets me appreciate the changing view out my window and still accomplish my assigned set of tasks and not be bored.
I try to see the world as new every moment and that there is always something new to be curious about. That there is always something to ask “why?” about.
That to me is the essence of being a pagan/witch/druid. If you aren’t curious and aware, what is the point if you aren’t doing your best to notice what is around you? Even in the middle of downtown grass will fight through a sidewalk and a pigeon will be somewhere around.
So are you living in wonder or are you wondering why you are living?
Every day and every night that I say the geneology of Brighid
I shall not be killed
I shall not be harmed
I shall not be put into a cell
I shall not be wounded
No fire, no sun, no moon shall burn me
No lake, no water, no sea shall drown me.
For I am the child of Poetry,
Poetry, child of Reflection,
Reflection, child of Meditation,
Meditation, child of Lore,
Lore, child of Research,
Research, child of Great Knowledge,
Great Knowledge, child of Intelligence,
Intelligence, child of Comprehension,
Comprehension, child of Wisdom,
Wisdom, child of Brighid.
Carmina Gaedelica edited by Lunea Weatherstone
May my words be as considered as poetry,
May I reflect on all I do or say,
May I meditate on those things important spiritually
May I seek to know more of the lore
May I research what I am curious about and what will enable me to grow
May I seek to know great knowledge,
May I acknowledge the intelligence of others
May I comprehend what I seek to learn and apply those lessons
May I know that seeking wisdom is not the same as being wise.
May I be a child of Brighid.
SelfBlessing is by me
Fetaim lasrach soillse
Thoir cuireadh sinne
ris a’ bheatha
Brighid, Sublime Woman
Long may you burn bright!
You give us the invitation
to life everlasting
Sunday was the day of the memorial but it was after the Gnostic Eucharistic Service – A mystical Marriage of Soul and Spirit. It didn’t bother the others to follow it but it didn’t set right with this renegade. At least I wore my appropriate priestess garb because I had brought my favourite t-shirt from Northern Sun http://www.northernsun.com/Heretic-In-Good-Company-Poster-%284189%29.html
But I didn’t. The mix of people at Isis Oasis is a little odd. There are a lot of older people as in way older than me and close to older than the gods and a lot of younger people that are in their 20s and early 30s and then the ones in TOILA or friends of TOILA who haven’t had their senses of the absurd or humour removed surgically. There are a lot of people who take themselves way too seriously and don’t approve of us. And it doesn’t help that I seem to have received their senses of the absurd in triplicate. I’m afraid anything that starts with interpretive dance no matter how good it is, is going to send me into wanting to giggle especially when they don’t bother to explain it until afterwards and it had nothing to do with the service as far as I could see and they admitted they just made it up as they went along. I had to do a modern dance performance in school and I’m afraid I was a spare tire going down the highway after escaping a tire change when everyone else was doing things like The Arrival of Spring. Gag.
Being raised a strict Presbyterian as well as in family traditions AND two years at Catholic girls camp does not lend itself to sitting through a Mass of any sort and especially not one with a Communion which the strict Presbyterian part was shouting wildly about. Presbyterians do Communion about 4 times a year. The rationale being that it made it more meaningful if it was rare. And you weren’t supposed to just take it. Only people that have cleansed their conscience and are ready to receive the mystery are supposed to take Communion so this Druid/pagan/Wiccan was not about to take Communion. It wouldn’t be respectful of the tradition. So I did what to do when I was in Choir in church and sat behind the minister. I let my mind wander. I went over what I was supposed to read during Laura’s service. I asked Laura to help me keep it together and anything else I could think of.
Finally an hour late, we got to do it. We kept it simple and sweet and short. We read Isis Rising II and sang Diana’s Isis Rising chant. We read Laura’s 7 selves which wasn’t done at the Memorial last weekend. I think it might be my favourite. A did Open Heaven’s Gate after C’s introduction and Linda read her tribute to Laura, Mother of Cats which is wonderful. We sang the Knot of Isis and were delighted when people sang with us and showed my slideshow at the end. Short, meaningful and not unwieldly which was good because one of us was always crying but never at the same time. That’s a very good thing when one is trying to sing. Mid song we discovered Isis Rising was a round and it was one of those moments that singers have when something snaps into place and becomes magic, even with the tears. There is something about blending voices and listening to one another sing that is one of the most magical things you can do and doing it in a ritual takes it a step further. I didn’t get to have a part in the Memorial really last weekend. They “let” me do something on BunniHoTep and the slideshow but nothing else and I admit it’s sticking in my craw. This went a long way to soothing some of that. The 6 of us were on the same mental plane and it flowed and being with 3 women that I adore and don’t think I’m incapable helped too. I’m so glad we did it now and didn’t have to watch someone else who didn’t love Laura the way we do perform the ritual. There were a lot of people there for the first time and I was surprised they all stayed for it. We all expected there would be an exodus after the Mass but there wasn’t.
Then Diana and I headed home, she to her kids and me because I needed to be at work Monday. A and C stayed the extra days. It starts Friday and ends on Monday but I can’t take that long to stay with people who are so serious and can’t seem to raise energy at all which is how TOILA usually gets in trouble there. We raise the roof when we get going and it’s why Lady Olivia when she’s there has a tendency to tell the others how wonderful she thinks we are and people get pissed. We got an apology letter from her when she stopped coming to visit us the weekend before Isis Oasis and not visiting other groups. I guess other people complained loudly about it. Now she may never come again and it makes us sad. We miss her but I’m glad we had her when we did. The last time she was here a film crew was following her around and Lady Olivia made them interview some of us on camera and that couldn’t have helped.
So we survived doing the Memorial and I loved doing one more service for Laura and once I thought I saw her laughing in the back of the hall. So you never know…
Miss Kat’s School of Genteel Witchcraft
The Etiquette Lesson –
Do’s and Don’ts in Circle:
- Always inquire as to the proper dress – it may not be appropriate to come in full ritual drag if the ritual is public.
- Always ask before deciding whether you should be skyclad, you may be the only person in deshabile’ and not everyone may want to see your lovely corporeal form.
- Follow your High Priestess’s lead – Let her do the invoking of the deity. You may invoke an incompatible Deity. Wait to be invited to participate.
- When involved in a Spiral Dance, do not indiscriminately drag people in to the Dance – They may be disabled, and being kicked with a leg brace is not grounds for ecstatic dancing.
- Ask to see if it will be appropriate to use your own athame – Sometimes only the Quarter casters are allowed to use tools. Another reason to request whether using pointy things is appropriate, is because you may be in a small space and the person in front of you may not be into kinky things like piercings.
- If you have to leave after the Circle is cast make sure someone cuts you out of the Circle or cut yourself out. Reasons may include the call of Nature or uncontrollable coughing or laughing. It also may include having your comfort level exceeded.
- Don’t sing or chant louder than everyone else – Its not nice and the Priestess may have been planning something different than you expect or have a change of words.
- Don’t point out -” THAT’S NOT THE WAY MY TRADITION DOES IT!” No one cares and you aren’t H.P.
- Don’t hog or over-indulge in the Cakes and Ale.
- Do Not backwash in the Chalice!
- Please always move deosil (clockwise) around Circle unless instructed otherwise.
- If you are in charge of blessing and purifying and you are using incense, respect the fact that some people are allergic to it. Waving a stick of incense in someone’s face who doesn’t wish it, could get that stick placed where things don’t generally burn well.
- Do NOT invoke the God in a Dianic Circle.
- If outside in a park, leave the place cleaner than you found it, doing this in some one’s house is usually not appreciated. Unless, as Apprentice, your all powerful H.P. has instructed you to do so.
- During guided meditation snoring with your mouth open is a dangerous prospect.
- If you are Dianic and find yourself in a mixed Circle it is not appropriate to rescue the Chalice from the Athame during the simulation of the Great Rite.
- Sex in the bushes after a public ritual is frowned upon as you could:
- have the sponsor lose the use of the place you are having ritual.
- get a disease; ritually contracted syphilis or AIDS is not anymore comfortable than the garden variety version.
- find poison oak, ticks, and rattlesnakes – Nuff said?
- use your own bed; it’s more comfortable.
- Do Not pick up anything on the altar without asking permission. Some people are very picky about their tools and besides it could be loaded.
- It is Always appropriate to ritually bathe before going to a public ritual. This also includes those attending large outdoor Festivals. Not every one appreciates your dark musky aura (odora), Nature Boy/Girl.
- Passing the tongue with the ritual kiss could get you bit, at the very least and at the most, part of your anatomy could become an impromtu sacrifice.
- Wearing the largest pentagram you can find will get you pegged as a novice faster than you can say “ LaurieCabot’.
- Have Respect!!!!! for yourself and for the people around you. If you don’t, Trust me, the Priestess will remember you. And that’s not necessarily a good thing.
- Be on time! You may get locked out and Pagan Standard Time (P.S.T.) is just plain rude!
A prayer to the morning beings of my neighborhood
Bless me as I go my way this day until the fall of night.
The low tok tok tok greeting of the raven from the top of the transformer
The mocking of the car alarms of a mockingbird
The suicide run of the spring born squirrel across the quiet street
The sleepy ramble of the opossum for shelter from the coming heat
The scolding of the male hummingbird as I cross under him
The buzz of the heavy carpenter bee lumbering to the roses
The trail of the night wandering snail across the walkway
The softness of the spider’s web as it crosses my face as I leave the gate
The farewell of the garden gnomes and cats from the yard
Be with me from early dawn to twilight’s fall
and through the dark of night.