This is my favourite recipe for Macaroni and Cheese, it’s from a 1958 Good Housekeeping pamphlet and the one my mom always made.
Susan’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese
1 TBSP of salt
½ lb of macaroni in 2 ½ inch pieces or elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
(Mom used the big elbow macaroni not the tiny ones like ones in Kraft mac & cheese
1 small onion
2 TBSP of butter or margarine
1 TBSP of flour
¼ tsp of dry mustard
¾ tsp salt
Speck of pepper
2 cups of milk
½ l of Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
¾ cup fresh bread crumbs (I leave these out because I don’t like them)
4 tsp of butter or margarine
- In a large kettle bring to boil 3 qts of water with 1TBSP of salt.
Start heating oven to 400 degrees. Grease 1 ½ qt casserole
- Drop macaroni into boiling water; boil, uncovered, stirring often with fork, about 9 minutes
Or until piece rubbed between fingers parts fairly easily.
- Meanwhile, mince onion, (about 4 tsps) put in double boiler with 2 TBSP of butter. When butter is melting, stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until smooth and hot, stirring often.
- Slice about 3/4 s of the cheese right into the sauce; stir until the cheese is melted. ( if preferred, slice or grate cheese ahead, using medium grater)
- When the macaroni is tender, drain into colander; turn into casserole. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni, tossing lightly with fork so that all the macaroni gets nicely coated. Top with rest of cheese.
- Toss bread crumbs with 4 tsp of melted butter. Sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered; 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings as a main dish and 6 when served instead of potatoes.
For 2 servings:
Use the following ingredients: 1/3 lb of cheese, 1 1/3 cups raw macaroni, 1 TBSP of minced onion, 4 tsps of butter, 2 tsps of flour, ¼ tsp of dry mustard, ½ tsp of salt, speck pepper, 1 1/3 cups of milk. ½ cup fresh bread crumbs, and 1 TBSP butter. Bake in 1 qt casserole at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.