Lets have some common sense – Shall we?

I have been watching the whole pop culture debate while I have had more important things like my Hierophant dying and having my job end but it has gotten so silly I have to say something. Does any one in the pagan community, as such have any common sense?


There have always been pop culture elements in pagan practices from ancient times. Homer was the pop culture of his day and he had super heroes like Achilles and Ajax. There was also Hercules. Those were the super heroes of their day and people did pay homage to them.


The Scandinavians have the Eddas or sagas and they are filled with the deeds of super heroes of their times.


The Gaels have CuChulainn and Fionn Mac Cumhaill for their super heroes.


In more modern times, the Church of All Worlds was founded on a Heinlein book and many Dianics found the Goddess in the pages of the Mists of Avalon. Some pagans came from D&D. There has been Klingon Wicca for over 20 years and Jedi since the Star Wars movies came out. Stargate got a lot of people energized over the Ancient Egyptians. Zhann could be the Green Lady even though she is blue from Farscape.


So getting your panties in a bunch over of Marvel comic super heroes is stupid and  just another step or pathway on someone else’s journey and who are you to judge? A lot of people in this world worship a 2000 year old zombie and they judge us? So why are you denying a path from your oh so superior view point when some one can easily deny yours for the same reasons?

5 thoughts on “Lets have some common sense – Shall we?

  1. I took an excellent class at SU called “Religion & Pop Culture”, and I came away from it with a firm believe that the barrier between “pop culture” and “religion” was a totally imaginary one, and, therefore, completely arbitrary. I think 96% of all religion actually happens within pop culture, subconsciously, and the remaining 4% that we express in our rites and rituals has already formed elsewhere. I also think this is exactly as it was in ancient times (as you mentioned), and I think it will continue.

    “ll of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.”

    I have not seen any of the actual debate, just people talking about it. Been a little busy here, too. 🙂


  2. I agree, I love that Marvel gives me a way to talk to people in a language they understand about deities! So what if Thor and Loki are not like in the movies in the Norse Sagas – it gives you a way to connect. The more connections you can make, the more people are educated, the better off we are for whatever it was that prompted the conversation.
    I won’t comment on it though because I’ve seen the mess over on Tumblr and… honestly, I don’t have that kind of time.


  3. Lol, I haven’t seen the tumblr mess, just the blogs @ Patheos and Wiccans & Pagans, and a few other sites. I think I might do another “Interview With The Hubby” on the subject (his take on it is pretty funny)…but, I can’t help but feel like people are taking this too personally. How I see and worship the gods doesn’t take away from how someone else sees and worships the gods. And if it does, then they need to take a long hard look in the mirror…I can tell you that the gods have never cared whether I was a polytheist or a pantheist and whether I thought they were archetypes or literal concrete beings—they’ve answered me just the same.


  4. I’ve just been like “I’ll be over here” during the whole thing, but yea I’m with you. If all paths are valid then it doesn’t hurt me if someone wants to worship Superman.


Comments are closed.