http://leonardswand.wordpress.com/ This is my on-going serial about Leonard and his friends Melly and Greg as they discover magic and MAGIC. I’m having fun doing it so I hope you have fun reading it.
I want to thank Ariadne at http://cauldronandbrew.wordpress.com for this award, It’s lovely!
What Ayslyn’s says about the award: “Today is a very special day. Not only is it Samhain, the most important Sabbat on the Wiccan Wheel of the year, but it is also the unveiling of a project Cassandra and I have been working on for a couple of months. Over the past weeks, we have both been graced with several blogging awards, but we couldn’t help but notice that none of the awards floating around were Wiccan in nature. And so, the idea was born to create an award specifically for Wiccans/Pagans/witches.
Thus the purpose of this award is to bring positive recognition to those bloggers who share their experiences on the less-traveled path, whether in the form of a journal or by standing up for themselves and others. Our award logo was a collaborate endeavor made with love that we are both very proud of. So without any further ado, onward to the details of the newest award to find its way to the blogsphere!
Post the award logo within your blog post
Thank the blogger who passed the award to you
Answer the seven questions below
Nominate five Wiccan/Pagan bloggers (If you don’t know five other Wiccan bloggers, nominate as many as you can)
Notify your nominees of their pending award
Give a short description of the blog/blogger and why you nominated them
Stop by Ayslyn’s Corner and Book of Shadows to add your name to the list of bloggers awarded
You may customize the questions as long as they are still Wiccan- and Pagan-related
1. How did you discover “Wicca” witchcraft?
Somehow all of these questions seem to generate an answer long enough to be a post all on its own. I’m not sure I discovered Wicca as much as it found me. I was trained in our family ways or what Grandma called “what we do”. And once she died when I was seventeen I was left with a lot of weird knowledge and no idea how to use any of it except the nature parts, so I got my degree as a Naturalist. At the same time I was working at camps and then Girl Scout camps where I met some women who became good friends. One New Year’s Eve when we were having our regular pre-Rose parade watching party where we always found spots down the block and took turns guarding the benches my friend, Kathy threw a small yellow self printed book called the Holy Book of Women’s Mysteries or as it was called then “The Feminist Book of Light and Shadows” which came out in 1975 so this must have been around 1980-1982? and since we had a few hours to kill before the parade, I tucked myself in a corner and read and scared the bejeebers out of myself. That book has toned down over time but the first small pamphlet had a lot of ideas I was not ready for quite yet. So I gave the book back and didn’t think too much of it.
Awhile later I was having a lot of trouble shutting anything out. I was going through a period where I knew what every one was thinking and feeling and I knew things before they happened and Kathy decided I needed more help than she was equipped to give me. She gave me instructions on how to get to a woman’s house which being Kathy were wrong but I still found it. And that first night I attended my first circle, met my first HPs and helped weave their new coven cord because she took one look at me at the door looking lost and dragged me in the door and told Kathy, “I told you if she was meant to find it she would.” And the roller coaster took off. And that was the beginning of my “formal” craft training.
2. Do you grow herbs? Yes is the short answer. When I had a sunnier garden I had a lot of herbs growing now we have very little sun and very little money so I just have the basics and some very lucky for me volunteers that I have no idea why they came but they are here now.
I’ve taken herbalism classes and studied quite a bit. My favourite teacher was Paul Beyerel and if you get a chance to take a class with him do it! If not his herbalism books are better than anyone else’s, period.
I used to have my own incense business for many years and sometime I may put up some of my recipes. I got out of the business because a lot of beginners started competing with me at pagan craft faires and making their incense out of sawdust and I just could not compete with their prices. Sawdust and oil is really cheap to do and makes really noxious smoked incense in my opinion. Mine were the actual herbs that had to be burned over charcoal blocks, no saltpetre, no sawdust and just essential oils to add what ever component I needed to add. I made them all by feel and one of my exes tried to get me to measure it out by ratio but most had to be done by feel. I knew when it was right just by doing.
Added to the fact that the more I know the less I use the herbs. Herbs are medicine and as such are not meant to be used every day in most cases. To many people don’t respect that. They think because it’s “natural” it’s safe. It is not! Socrates can testify to that. Even chamomile has side effects if taken every day. There is no herb I take every day with the possible exception of camellia sinensis better known as black tea.
3. Are you in the “broomcloset”? If not, share the experience. Do you have all day? A yes and no question. I used to be out all the time and paid a heavy price for it so now I’m out where I choose to be and not out where it could be harmful.
At my first healthcare insurance job I was harassed by my co-workers and the management after a holy-roller and a new director took over who were good friends. Everyone in the dept knew and had no problem. A new woman started in our dept just before Halloween and on Halloween we all dressed up and she heard me laugh. I have a rather cackling laugh when I want to and she said something to the effect that I shouldn’t laugh like that because people would think I was a witch. The whole dept laughed at her. She hated that and she figured out why and proceeded to make my life a living hell. She really hated that I corrected her on Bible verses and when she said even the devil could quote scripture and she thought that was a Bible verse she really went ballistic when I pointed out to her that was not a quote from the Bible but from Shakespeare and then it got personal. She went through my Disney cartoon a day calendar and removed every picture of a witch. So I warded my desk with a tiny pentacle tucked up under the monitor. Somehow she found this and reported it and I was written up for having made a terrorist threat. On. MY. Own. Desk!
About this time the company was bought by another healthcare insurance company and since I was living under siege any way I went to the new HR. They not only removed the write up in my file but sent the Director to mandatory sensitivity training when she still didn’t stop harassing me or stop the three people who were keeping up her campaign they took away all her supervisees and put her in a windowless office. She quit not long after and they moved the three who were her henchmen out of the dept.
That doesn’t even compare with the campaign my mom put on to re-convert me. Everything from trying to get me into her psychologist at church by saying she needed a ride. I refused to get out of the car and then she got pissed and spilled the reason for her visit. Basically she had a typical for her, tantrum about if she had known how uncooperative I was going to be she wouldn’t have come. Uh, mom, you knew me from birth? You knew what was going to happen except when you lie as usual to yourself when you plan the outcome. So she went around telling everyone I grew up with that I worshipped the devil and never bothered to find out any differently. She kept up the conversion campaign until she died. She had some weird idea that God was going to punish her for my choices when she got wherever she was going. Frankly, if she went to heaven, I never want to go there. Hell, if I’m wrong will be a relief. So now I’m out for the people who need to know and under a pseudonym the other half of my life doesn’t really need to know unless they are motivated to figure it out.
4. What tradition do you follow? My own. My coven has the tradition we put together when we started. I have the tradition I was first trained in and I have what my Grandmother taught me and add into the everything I’ve ever read and after 30 years it’s all been blended together into my daily practice and personal philosophy.
5. Do you consider yourself a witch, Wiccan, pagan (or something else?) All of the above plus Druid. All witches are pagan. All Wiccans are pagan but not all pagans are Wiccan or witches or Druids. After almost 30 years of being a formally trained pagan, High Priestess and teacher I figure I can say that. There is no such thing as a witch that is not a pagan. Christians, Jews and Moslems can not be pagan because they all have the 10 commandments and the second commandment says, Thou shalt have no other gods before me for I am a jealous God. Rather interesting that the Judeo-Christian god confesses a a sin in the 10 commandments but he does.
6. How much of Wicca/witchcraft are you able to incorporate in your everyday life? Every moment, you aren’t practicing very well if it isn’t with every blessed breath you take. Following the Goddess is a 24/7 proposition and that includes sleep time.
7. Do you have a familiar? If you do, tell us how you met them and how they take part in your practice. I got my familiar when he climbed out the box my boss at the Girl Scouts had put he and his siblings in and plopped onto my desk when they were 4 weeks old. He was all black and crawled onto my chest and fell asleep. I was supposed to pick up a girl kitten that day from another GS person because I thought I wanted a female. He was so little his balls hadn’t dropped and I was duped. The boss said I could have him if I sexed the box. Only got one wrong and he was mine the minute he crawled on my chest and fell asleep. He fit in one hand when I got him and I had him 13 years when he had a heart attack and died while we were both taking a nap.
He read tarot. Did circle and told me exactly what I should and should not do and when he died I was heart broken. Two days after he died my neighbor brought me a rescue kitty who in no uncertain terms made it clear that she was not a familiar. She was a shape-shifter. And she is within minutes she was a wolf and a lynx and other people saw it too which is why she is called Liathfaol or Grey wolf in gaelic.
So I thought I had lost my love and my familiar but it very quickly became apparent that he may not be on the physical plane but that he was still here. He was just now a ghost. Not too long after he died I had a friend (witch) over who slept on the futon in the living room. The next morning she was asking where the soft black kitty with the beautiful tail was. Samhain had lost his tail saving a kitten from a car and it had to be amputated. I had to tell her the soft black kitty was a ghost. Glad his tail is back, he was always vain about it when he had it. But then I knew for sure he was back.
That was 13 years ago and he’s still around. Still jumps on the bed. Still annoys my cat by lying places she think she wants to lie down in.
I nominate because I love their points of view.
The Faerie Scribe
2. The Stone of Destiny
4. The Purple Broom