For anyone’s holiday pleasure that wants to make it, here is my great-grandfather’s Scottish Shortbread recipe.
1 lb of flour, preferably unbleached, this equals 4 cups
1 lb of butter and don’t you dare use margarine! That would be a crime!
¼ lb of brown sugar but I cheat and use a loosely packed cup which is more than a ¼ lb.
Cut a large rectangle of brown paper out of a paper bag and put it aside.
Combine all 3 ingredients by hand, no cheating with a mixer! Until it is a smooth, well mixed ball of dough.
Pat out flat on the brown paper about ½ inch thick. Prick with fork to break apart later or don’t and just break it into bits when done.
Place in 350 degree oven for around 15 minutes or until light tan. Do not slip a pan underneath. Just put the paper in the oven. The grease from the butter will prevent the paper from burning.
Remove from oven. Let cool a bit and serve with a nice cup of tea. I prefer Twining’s Prince of Wales.
Our great- grandfather was a professional baker and all our family bakes. So this is required for holidays.
About another few just for grins:
11. Mary Daheim – Alpine Advocate, B&B mysteries
12. Jill Churchill – Jane Jeffry, Grace and Favor mysteries
13. Elaine Viets – dead end job mysteries
14. Anne Bishop – Black Jewels Trilogy
15. Karen Harper – Elizabeth I mysteries
16. Fiona Buckley – Ursula Blanchard at ER I’s court mysteries
17. Michael Jecks – Knight’s Templar mysteries
18. Peter Tremayne – Sister Fidelma, Peter is also Peter Beresford Ellis, a historian
19. Margaret Frazer – Sister Frevisse, Joliffe mysteries
20. Lauren Haney – Lieutenant Bak/ Ancient Egyptian mysteries
21.Lynda Robinson – Lord Meren / Ancient Egyptian mysteries
22.Steven Saylor – Gordianus the Finder/ Ancient Rome mysteries
23.Lindsay Davis – Marcus Didius Falco/ Ancient Rome mysteries
24.Kathy Lynn Emerson – Lady Appleton/ ER I mysteries
25.Robin Paige – Lord and Lady Sheridan mysteries
26.Susan Wittig Albert – China Bayles- Herbal mysteries
27. Nancy Atherton – Aunt Dimity mysteries
28.Melanie Rawn – Dragon Prince
29. M.C Beaton – Agatha Raisin, Hamish MacBeth mysteries
30. Dana Stabenow – Kate Shugak, Liam Campbell/ Alaskan mysteries
31 Sue Henry – Jessie Arnold, Maxie and Stretch
32 Nevada Barr – Anna Pigeon/ National Park Service